Thursday 17 March 2011

Today's cabochon crop from my kiln

Here's the batch of cabs that I had in the kiln overnight; there were too many for one photo, so I've taken several...


Day Nine, part one
Day Nine, part one

This was an experiment with a tab bead that had broken unevenly down the middle (I'd squished it too thin with my mashers). These are the left and right halves of the bead - the hole would have run right up the middle in between them. The fine silver wire is a bit sharp and pointy at the top of the left one - I'll either clip or file this then I think I'll re-slump it to see if I can get a rounder shape. The other one I don't mind not being perfectly oval :)


Day Nine, part two
Day Nine, part two

These are lovely but unfortunately you can see where the hole was at the back of each cab. It seems that no matter how well I clean any remaining bead release from the back of the cabs, I still get a mark, which doesn't matter on opaque beads but spoils the look of clear ones. Ah well, that's what etching fluid is for ;)


Day Nine, part three
Day Nine, part three

Nothing wrong with these ones :) They even already have a name - Constantine - as this had been a bead destined to be one of my ☛Constantine Bay pendants☚.

Day Nine, part four
Day Nine, part four

Another pair with which I'm pleased :) The ivory glass has become a beautifully rich, creamy yellow... it was a bit like that before it went into the kiln yesterday but the colour has become much richer.

Day Nine, part five
Day Nine, part five

And here are the rest :) I like the odd-shaped green and red one; there's a spiky bit on one of the two at the bottom right of the picture and as you can see, the green transparent pair have the same mark from where the hole was. Remind me to put more etching fluid on my next shopping list...


Some of these cabs will end up in my jewellery but most will probably find their way into ☛My Etsy shop☚, it's only a matter of time - I just have to take proper pics then measure, price and describe the things! If you're interested in any of them and can't wait, contact me :)

And there are even more in the kiln this evening! This time I've crammed in as many as I dare - so far anyway :D I know, I know one day I'll push it too far and I'll end up with a single amalgamated cabochon awaiting me the next morning ;)

More pics tomorrow, all being well :)

No comments: